- This event has passed.
Grow Your Own Oyster and Wine Cap Mushrooms
April 7 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$75 – $90
Level up your gardening game with a permaculture take on home mushroom cultivation, both indoors and out.
Growing your own mushrooms is an easy way to increase the productivity, health and interest of your gardens and your plate. This workshop will offer an overview of some of the many ways you can grow delicious edible and medicinal mushrooms in your garden and in your home or apartment, by reusing easy to acquire, usually free natural materials. You will also be introduced to a new way of looking at and organizing your gardens to include plant communities and garden layers to support garden and personal health and wellness.
Note: This workshop is an excellent companion to our Planning a Successful Home Food Garden workshop we are hosting with our friends a Zocalo Farm.
You Will Learn:
- Mushroom growing demystified- everything you need to know to grow mushrooms successfully in your home and/or in your garden
- Materials to use for growing mushrooms at home and garden
- How to propagate your Oyster and Wine Cap mushrooms
- How growing mushrooms can benefit you and your gardens
- Using plant communities and garden layers to up your gardening game
- You are mushroom curious but have a barrier to taking the leap to try to grow them yourself
- You are passionate about growing your own food.
- You want build your gardening knowledge and skills, and explore new possibilities that can be incorporated into your garden and inside your home.
You will get:
- Hands-on work to inoculate your own one gallon Oyster Mushroom grow kit.
- Hands-on group work to establish an outdoor Wine Cap mushroom garden so you can go home and replicate this into your own garden right away.
- A hand-out full of resources and suggestions and trouble shooting to help you recreate your own mushroom garden and kit at home.
- Your own, ready to grow, in/outdoor Oyster mushroom kit and outdoor Wine Cap mushroom kit to take home.
- Detailed instructions for at-home care of your mushrooms.
- Resources to help you build your own plant communities and garden layers.
When: Saturday, April 7th from 10:00am – 4:00pm
Where: Ignatuis Jesuit Centre – 5420 ON-6, Guelph, ON N1H 6J2. The classroom is located in the main building called Orchard Park in room 236.
Cost: $75-$90 + HST (includes light refreshments)
What to bring: Lunch, notebook and pen, indoor and outdoor clothes (dress for the weather). There are lunch spots located within driving distance if you choose to not bring your lunch.
** You do not need to register on Eventbrite. You can send an email money transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only include ticket price and HST. Do not include the Eventbrite fee in the transfer.
*** If this workshop is financially inaccessible to you and you would like to negotiate a payment plan or bartered arrangement, please contact Minga at email@example.com
David Fields is an Organic Master Gardener, his hands have been in the soil since his earliest memory- playing and eating in his grandfather’s vegetable garden. As a community change agent and environmental activist, David builds bridges between people, ideas and nature through the power of shared experience in events, projects and strategies, including community gardens, a housing co-op and an urban farm pilot project. Cycling, reading, playing games and genealogy count among his other interests, which he usually shares with family. David’s love of nature have lead him through years of garden trials and triumphs, in urban and rural contexts, shaping his approach to gardening and view of life, that we (everything) work better together.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 5 days notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 5 days notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- We are unable to provide a refund after the workshop takes place.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.