Intro to Home Grown Cannabis
Time & Location
About The Event
Thinking of adding a little something new into your garden this year? Curious about legalities, neighbourly manners, and growing techniques? This workshop will be an in-depth introduction to growing cannabis, empowering you with everything you need to know to grow top quality Cannabis at home.
If you've tried your had at cannabis growing before and run into challenges, or are brand new and hoping to set yourself up for success from the start, this workshop will give you the knowledge and resources you need to grow happy, healthy plants at home. You'll learn about everything from plant anatomy and soil requirements to the myriad uses for this plant that you can create at home. Whether you are using it for massage oils, cooking ingredients, or good old-fashioned smoking, it all starts with the basic gardening practices necessary for planting and nurturing a healthy plant.
You will learn
- Best practices of starting and nurturing happy plants, with an emphasis on outdoor growing.
- Understanding of basic botany (anatomy and chemical constituents of a cannabis plant)
- What growing conditions and inputs plants need to be happy and healthy.
- How to integrate cannabis into your existing garden or yard
- Common pests and diseases and what to do about them
- Considerations for being a considerate neighbour.
- Brief introduction to the myriad ways of preserving the harvest for medicinal or recreational use (for more on harvesting and preserving, register for Cannabis Harvesting and Preserving: Introduction for the Home Grower, September 14, 2019!)
You will take home
- Detailed handout including all material covered in the workshop.
- A list of recommended resources to continue your learning and troubleshoot
This workshop is for you if
- You are considering growing your own cannabis at home and want to save yourself some time and frustration by learning from an experienced instructor.
- You have tried growing at home before and want to deepen your knowledge.
- You are curious about how cannabis can be processed and used at home for medicinal and recreational purposes.
- You enjoy connecting with like-minded people in a group learning environment.
About your instructor: Matt Soltys
Matt Soltys was a federally licensed medical cannabis grower for five years, where he produced high quality cannabis for patients of compassion clubs. Beyond his interest in cannabis, Matt got his permaculture design certificate in 2005, has led dozens of edible and medicinal wild plant walks since 2007, spent several years as a heirloom garlic farmer, and is currently strengthening his passion for plants and herbalism studying botany and biology at the University of Guelph. Matt is an active father to two children and tends to their forest garden homestead in the Ward.