- This event has passed.
Sourdough Bread Baking – May
May 6 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm$75.00 – $90.00
Join us on a fragrant Sunday morning to explore one of the most ancient human activities, baking bread. We’ll make bread using the traditional sourdough technique. You’ll leave the workshop with a fresh batch of dough to bake the next day, a freshly baked loaf of bread, a healthy and predictable sourdough starter, and the knowledge and confidence you need to make high-quality, rustic, sourdough bread at home.
The master recipe that you will learn can be modified to create unique recipes that include various types of whole grains and whole grain flours, nuts, seeds, and fruit.
- The steps to make an excellent loaf of rustic, sourdough bread.
- How to weigh and mix ingredients.
- How long to let the dough rise
- How to shape it and how to support it while it rises again before baking.
- How to care for your sourdough starter so that it will always make excellent bread.
What you will take home:
- A healthy batch of sourdough starter to nurture and use for years to come!
- A batch of sourdough bread that you made yourself, which you can practice baking at home using your newly acquired skills.
- Flexible instructions so that you can easily make excellent bread at home, as well as recipes to try on your own that build upon the master recipe.
- A freshly baked loaf of sourdough bread to take home and enjoy with friends and family.
- You’ve always wanted to learn how to make that sour, chewy and rustic bread at home.
- You like connecting and learning with other people who share your love of yummy bread
- You like to know what’s in your food, the science of how it works, and where to source the best ingredients
I just made a loaf of sourdough bread this weekend! I’m still amazed every time I make it just how easy it is and yet so impressive and tasty a loaf results! Very rewarding! I’ve been enjoying experimenting a bit with different flours (whole wheat, multi-grain) and add-ins (flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, walnuts)… the possibilities are endless! What I particularly liked about the course was that it was very well organized and incorporated some science and some art!
Thanks for a great experience!
Where: Rockmosa Community Hall, 74 Christie St, Rockwood, ON
Class size: 16
Cost: $75 – 90.00 (includes take home sour dough starter, loaf of freshly baked artisanal bread, freshly made dough to bake at home, and light refreshments.)
What To Bring: A large mixing bowl and an ovenproof pot with a lid. Ideally your pot will be a dutch oven. Either of these are ideal:
*** If this workshop is financially inaccessible to you and you would like to negotiate a payment plan or bartered arrangement, please contact Minga at email@example.com
Your Instructor: Richard Preiss
Richard Preiss is a microbiologist and entrepreneur who was inspired to make great bread through a passion for experimentation and good food. Richard has been making bread at home using his house-cultivated sourdough starter since 2013, constantly tinkering and experimenting to make his bread better and easier to make. At Escarpment Labs, Richard’s company based in Guelph, he heads up research efforts to develop and test new types of yeast for the beer industry. Microbes hold the key to flavour in both beer and bread, and Richard is constantly excited to share his knowledge about fermentation. His experience in bread baking and fermentation will make it easy to teach anyone how to make easy, beautiful, and delicious bread at home, and inspire them to experiment in the kitchen.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 5 days notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 5 days notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- We are unable to provide a refund after the workshop takes place.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
Thank you to our partners for helping to make this workshop possible!