- This event has passed.
Small Pantry Canning – August POSTPONED
August 13 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Cannot attend this date? We are offering the same workshop again on September 9th. Click here.
We are excited to be offering this workshop in partnership with Guelph/Eramosa Township and the County of Wellington’s Taste Real Program
There is nothing as satisfying as opening the jar of peaches from your stash in February or putting together a beautiful gift basket assortment of your handmade jars for someone special. Learning the art of canning is a great way to connect with food and community while stocking your cupboard with delicious, fresh reminders of summer.
This introduction to water bath canning is a hands-on, fast-paced and fun workshop designed to empower and help you to feel confident in making delicious, shelf-stable jars of preserves that you can enjoy all year long. We will focus on small batch canning of high acid foods that can be canned in a water bath with simple equipment in our home. We’ll also talk about tips for tackling bigger batches and ways to put food by until you are ready to can it.
You will learn about:
- The equipment – basic need-to-haves and nice-to-haves
- Preparing fruits and vegetables
- Canning and food safety
- Ingredients used in canning (besides the fruits and vegetables)
- The canning process
- Different types of canned preserves
You will want to attend this workshop if:
- You want more control over what does into some of the foods you feed yourself and your family.
- Fear or uncertainty about canning safety keeps you from trying it.
- You are curious about canning but don’t know where to start or it seems too overwhelming.
- You love the idea of getting together with a bunch of people to prepare food.
You will get:
- Insights, guidance, and trouble shooting tips
- The opportunity to practice preparing and canning a pickle, a salsa, and a jam.
- An assortment of handmade preserves to take home that you helped to make.
- Recipes for the preserves made in the workshop plus a couple of Joanne’s favourites.
When: August 13, 2017, 10:oo am – 1:00 pm
Where: Rockmosa Community Hall, 74 Christie St, Rockwood
What to Bring: Clothes that can get dirty, an apron if desired
10% off for those living in Guelph/Eramosa Township. Not sure if thats you? Click here to determine. Use the promotional code “rockwood”. All addresses will be checked.
** Please also note that you do not need to register through Eventbrite to participate in the workshop. If you would rather pay by cash or cheque, please contact email@example.com.**
Joanne Backman is a food professional sharing over 25 years of food product development, culinary education, food safety and training design with industry, community, and family. Joanne is inspired by a family of hand-makers and DIYers, and finds joy, satisfaction and energy in the process of learning and practicing new skills, solving problems and working on creative projects. Joanne has been home water bath canning small and large batches for 15 years.
Thank you to our partners for making this workshop possible
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 5 days notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 5 days notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that when you register for a workshop using Eventbrite, you are consenting to be added to Minga’s mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time by either contacting us directly (firstname.lastname@example.org), or using the unsubscribe function included in our mail-outs.