Small Pantry Canning – August
August 13 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
$110.00 Early Bird price, 6 seats available until July 8, 2017
$125.00 Regular price
There is nothing as satisfying as opening the jar of peaches from your stash in February or putting together a beautiful gift basket assortment of your handmade jars for someone special. Learning the art of canning is a great way to connect with food and community while stocking your cupboard with delicious, fresh reminders of summer.
This introduction to water bath canning is a hands-on, fast-paced and fun workshop designed to empower and help you to feel confident in making delicious, shelf-stable jars of preserves that you can enjoy all year long. We will focus on small batch canning of high acid foods that can be canned in a water bath with simple equipment in our home. We’ll also talk about tips for tackling bigger batches and ways to put food by until you are ready to can it.
You will learn about:
- The equipment – basic need-to-haves and nice-to-haves
- Preparing fruits and vegetables
- Canning and food safety
- Ingredients used in canning (besides the fruits and vegetables)
- The canning process
- Different types of canned preserves
You will want to attend this workshop if:
- You want more control over what does into some of the foods you feed yourself and your family.
- Fear or uncertainty about canning safety keeps you from trying it.
- You are curious about canning but don’t know where to start or it seems too overwhelming.
- You love the idea of getting together with a bunch of people to prepare food.
You will get:
- Insights, guidance, and trouble shooting tips
- The opportunity to practice preparing and canning a pickle, a salsa, and a jam.
- An assortment of handmade preserves to take home that you helped to make.
- Recipes for the preserves made in the workshop plus a couple of Joanne’s favourites.
Joanne Backman is a food professional sharing over 25 years of food product development, culinary education, food safety and training design with industry, community, and family. Joanne is inspired by a family of hand-makers and DIYers, and finds joy, satisfaction and energy in the process of learning and practicing new skills, solving problems and working on creative projects. Joanne has been home water bath canning small and large batches for 15 years.