- This event has passed.
SOLD OUT – Planning A Successful Home Food Garden
March 24 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm$65 – $75
Join Bethany and Seb of Zocalo Organics for an informative tour of their organic farm, and a ground-breaking (pun intended!) workshop to help you bring your gardening to the next level.
Beth and Seb will take beginner and experienced gardeners on a journey to explore the many ways you can approach garden planning. They will include concepts from permaculture, biodynamics, space-intensive growing, and will share ecological gardening methods and stories from the Organic Farming Community.
Our philosophy is that each person gardens for different reasons and each garden is a unique expression of that person. Some bring gardens into the world to involve children in learning about plants. Some use their garden as a laboratory to explore unique varieties of plants that can’t be found in grocery stores. Some use gardening to save money, as therapy, or as an artistic expression. We will help you set realistic goals for your garden and help you bring your unique garden to life for the 2018 season!
What you will learn:
- come up with and review your 2018 garden plan with the help of Seb and Bethany
- learn about growing seedlings and be introduced to season-extension methods (including winter growing/storing!)
- learn how to prioritize and select crops that meet your needs
- learn how to monitor pests, diseases, and soil health
- learn how to monitor and maintain your garden
- connect with other gardeners in the community
- learn how to use “row-covers” to protect certain plants from pests and frost
- where to buy seeds and supplies and how to budget for your garden
What you will take home:
- A comprehensive and personalized garden plan made during the workshop
- A container planted with a few things to take home
- Access to a wide array of resources that will keep you inspired through the season
- A tour of a beautiful farm and time spent in a warm greenhouse with baby plants (our seedlings)!
This workshop is for you if:
- You wand to start a new garden and unsure of where to begin and how to make the best use of your space for best results
- You want to play and have fun with your garden planning process
- You want join an inspired community that is working together to create healthy, abundant, and beautiful food gardens
When: Saturday, March 24th from 10:00am – 3:00pm
Where: Zocalo Organic Farm – 5881 Third Line, Erin, Ontario N0B 1Z0
Cost: $65 – $75.00 includes a garden plan, and a container planted with seedlings
What to Bring: Your own lunch, weather appropriate clothing, paper & writing implement
About your Instructors: Sebastian Ramirez and Bethany Klapwyk
Seb and Beth got into farming because of their passion for the environment and their love for the outdoors. In June 2014, with the help of friends and family, they purchased a farm, which they have named Zócalo Organics. Seb and Beth are committed to growing delicious Organic produce for years to come. They are passionate about making Zocalo farm a place of learning and community, as well as a thriving veggie production operation with long-term visions to include pasture-raised livestock and various types of perennial fruits.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 5 days, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 5 days notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- We are unable to provide a refund after a workshop has taken place for any reason.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.