- This event has passed.
Introduction to Permaculture – Hamilton, ON
February 12 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$75
Maybe you’re looking to cut your energy use and invest in solar or wind power. Maybe you’re imagining what it would be like to keep backyard chickens, start composting your kitchen scraps or grow healthy food on your front lawn (or a year-round garden in your passive solar greenhouse). Maybe you’ve even got ambitions of reducing water consumption, or living in an off-the-grid strawbale house!
If you’ve ever asked, “How can I create a sustainable livelihood doing something for the earth, something I love?” — or “How can I set up a small-scale farm?” — or “How can I harvest water or stop erosion?” or even just “What is permaculture?” this course is for you.
Permaculture is a completely solutions-oriented approach to addressing environmental, social and energy-supply problems. Discover your untapped potential for creating immense positive change starting at your back door!
Verge has designed a six hour course to provide you with the tools to turn your home into the greenest home on the block – all the while saving money and making a super healthy, beautiful and inspiring environment for family, friends and community… and even launching the career move of your dreams!
“I loved the simplicity of the material even though it was packed full of info. Rob was a great speaker with an authentic energy.”- Stephanie Brodsky
The Avis’ Permaculture Homestead – Part 1
YOU WILL LEARN:
- a few core permaculture principles, strategies and practical design tools for energy-efficiency, reducing water use, cycling nutrients, and growing food.
- how to create super-productive gardens, to the envy of your neighbours, that don’t require weeding or chemical fertilizing.
- how to create abundance and a thriving garden with rainwater, using neat techniques such as wicking beds and swales.
- a whole new practical philosophy of working with (rather than against) nature; a perspective that can save you thousands of dollars when it comes to designing and integrating the layout of your home & garden (in ways you never imagined)!
- additional design tools that you can use to increase the sustainability of your home and community.
- and much much more!
“Over the past five years I have watched Rob and Michelle build Verge Permaculture from the ground up and I am proud to say that Verge Permaculture is now one of North America’s premier permaculture design and education companies.” – Geoff Lawton, Director of The Permaculture Institute
Rob Avis is the owner and lead instructor at Verge Permaculture, an internationally recognized and award-winning permaculture design company from Calgary, Alberta. He has taught permaculture to thousands of students and as a Professional Engineer and principal at Adaptive Habitat, he offers expertise in building science and appropriate technology (solar, wind, combined heat & power), as well as rainwater harvesting, agro-ecology, ecosystem engineering, soil regeneration and onsite wastewater treatment.
1) PEOPLE CARE ($75)
Includes registration for the in-person Introduction to Permaculture course.
2) EARTH CARE ($108 – 10% savings)
Includes the course ($75 value) and a copy of Bill Mollison’s book, Introduction to Permaculture ($45 value)
3) FAIR SHARE ($164 – 25% savings)
Includes the course ($75 value), a copy of Bill Mollison’s book ($45 value), and Verge’s online Interactive Permaculture Primer E-Course ($99 value).
ABOUT THE INTERACTIVE PERMACULTURE PRIMER E-COURSE
Verge’s Interactive Permaculture Primer (http://vergepermaculture.ca/blog/events/pdc-primer/) is a six video online E-course. Included in the E-course is the following:
- A full year’s access to the online Permaculture Primer series (6 videos, ~ 4 hours)
- A downloadable 50-page note pack explaining all of the key concepts in detail
- Links to suggested reading and informational websites
- Homework and observation prompts to increase experiential learning
- Full access to Rob’s expertise through a comment section where you can get your questions answered by Rob and interact with other participants
- A coupon code for $129 that can be applied against tuition in Verge’s Permaculture Design Certificate.
Eligible students will be provided access to this E-course immediately following the in-person course.
For more information, visit the E-course page here: http://vergepermaculture.ca/blog/events/pdc-primer/
This event is in partnership with The Mustard Seed
Date: Sunday, February 12th
*** Cannot attend this day? We are hosting the same workshop in the following locations:
- Sunday February 5th in Toronto.
- Wednesday February 8th in Guelph.
- Saturday February 11th in Elora.
Time: 9 am – 5 pm
Where: – Churchhill Park Clubhouse – 163 Cline St North, Hamilton ON
Bring: Pen and paper and your own lunch and snacks. There are a few lunch options located close to the workshop. We will share these locations during the workshop.
***You do not need to register though Eventbrite. You can send an email money transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop cash or cheque off at 28 Inkerman Street Guelph.
WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID
“For anyone interested in the health of the planet and their own family, this workshop is a must. It is a terrific first step to gaining an understanding of how they can have impact and benefit from smart design.” -Nolin Veillard
“Thank you for the inspiring insight to starting something huge!” -Hannah Webb
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about specifics of the workshop a few days before the workshop, including a reminder of what to bring.