- This event has passed.
Fruit Tree Pruning Workshop
April 29 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm$45
In partnership with Guelph Community Orchard Project and The Elora Environment Centre, we are excited to join Susan Poizner, an urban orchardist and the author of the award-winning fruit tree care book Growing Urban Orchards, as she guides us through fruit tree care. You will learn the techniques for dormant tree pruning (versus summer pruning when the tree is actively growing). Dormant pruning, done annually, helps you improve tree health, spur healthy growth and helps your tree develop a structure that will support a robust harvest.
YOU WILL LEARN
- when and why to prune fruit trees
- the difference between winter and summer pruning
- how to prune your tree to spur vigorous growth and fruit production
- pruning tools and techniques and how to structure your tree.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- home growers
- arborists who want to learn fruit tree care skills
- master gardeners
- community orchard growers
We will spend 1.25 hours inside learning theory and spend the rest of the time outside using our new fruit tree pruning skills.
Susan Poizner is the author of the award-winning fruit tree care book Growing Urban Orchards and the creator of the award-winning online fruit tree care training portal at www.orchardpeople.com. She is the creator of the Orchard People where she trains arborists, master gardeners and home growers from across North America the key skills involved in fruit tree care including pruning, pest and disease prevention and fertility management. Susan is also the host of The Urban Forestry Radio Show and Podcast which covers fruit trees, food forests, permaculture and arboriculture. Learn more about her at www.orchardpeople.com. She is an urban orchardist, journalist and film maker living in Toronto, Canada.
Date: Saturday April 29th
Time: 10:00am – 12:00pm
Where: Guelph Community Orchard Project located at Harcourt Memorial United Church – 87 Dean Ave, Guelph, ON N1G 1L3
Bring: Notebook and pen and weather appropriate clothing as we will be working outside in rain or shine.
***You do not need to register though Eventbrite. You can send an email money transfer to email@example.com or drop cash or cheque off at 28 Inkerman Street Guelph.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 5 days notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 5 days notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about specifics of the workshop a few days before the workshop, including a reminder of what to bring.