- This event has passed.
Foraging For Wild Edibles – June 2018
June 17 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm$50.00 – $60.00
Hone your senses and learn to seek out yummy treats in the natural world around you. You don’t have to go into the deep dark woods to find wild edibles! This workshop will help you gain some basic literacy about the natural world, and what you can safely eat in your own backyard, along your favourite trails, or even in your school yard (Kids under 12 can attend for FREE with a ticket-holding adult!!!). Whether you are excited about building self-reliance, finding ways to engage your kids in being outside, or just curious about distinguishing members of your naturally growing neighbourhood, this workshop will set you up with basic knowledge, fuel your enthusiasm, and give you some ideas for ways to continue learning. Wild foods are very nutritious and often have much higher amounts of minerals and nutrients than their domesticated counterparts, they not only benefit one’s nutrition but can also be a medicine and they do all the work of growing themselves for free!
Join experienced forager and nerdy biologist Luke Eckstein in exploring and gathering from what is around us. We will see what’s out right now, touch things, taste things, and discuss all aspects of foraging. We will practice our identification skills, share knowledge and get better acquainted with the world of plants (and mushrooms if we encounter any)!
YOU WILL LEARN:
- Plant Identification (possibly mushroom identification too!)
- Sustainable harvesting and land stewardship
- Risks, hazards and safety for heathy foraging
- Eating and cooking tips for enjoying your foraged treats
- Tricks to help you train your senses to find edibles in your daily life and outdoor adventures
- You love to learn about food and experiment with supplementing your diet with wild edibles.
- You are curious about what you can eat out there and want a solid foundation of knowledge to set you on the right path.
- You are looking to add knowledge to your outdoor adventures with kids and help them discover the magic of treasure hunting in nature.
- You are kinda jazzed about perfecting your strategy for surviving the zombie apocalypse and finding wild edibles is a cornerstone of your plan.
YOU WILL GET:
- To harvest fresh wild edibles to take home
- A greater awareness and appreciation of the bounty of edibles all around you in nature
- Knowledge of what’s edible and what’s not in your own backyard, school yard, park, and favourite trails
*Please note that because this workshop takes you out into green urban wild spaces, we cannot guarantee which plants will be available for harvesting.
When: 10:00am – 1:00pm Saturday June 17th 2018
Where: Ignatius Jesuit Centre, 5420 ON-6, Guelph, ON N1H 6J2
If you get lost, please call Luke’s cell phone at 519-573-6694.
Class Size: 20 (plus children)
What to bring: A basket to carry your harvested edibles, a small sharp knife, and weather appropriate clothing ** We will be foraging RAIN OR SHINE. ***
REMEMBER: Kids under 12 years old can attend for FREE with a ticket-holding adult so bring your littles!
***You do not need to register though Eventbrite. You can send an email money transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop cash or cheque off at 28 Inkerman Street Guelph. Eventbrite fees are excluded when paying this way.
Instructor – Luke Eckstein.
At university, I studied biology and was entirely amazed by subjects like genetics and cell biology, and I chose to specialize in molecular biology and microbiology. Learning from these fields about how the world works on a scale below what we can see with our eyes is like rediscovering all sorts of things that I thought I knew. I also took courses in plant biology and zoology and have been quite compelled by questions about the origins of life, the story of life on Earth over time and how the world of today came to be. I am obviously still learning and will be for a very long time, but I would love to share my foraging experience and help others discover and rediscover the wonders of the world around us.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 5 days notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 5 days notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about the specifics of the workshop a few days, including a reminder of what to bring.