Custom Sausage Making – January
January 13, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am$160.00 - $180.00
Minga is excited to be offering this workshop in partnership with Bella Roma Foods!
Ever felt a bit dizzy reading the long ingredient list for your sausages? Do you love the sizzle of sausage on a grill AND want to know where your food is coming from? Does your imagination run wild at the thought of developing your own unique house spice blend?
In this intimate small group workshop you will learn how to break down a bone-in pork shoulder butt, grind the meat, develop your own sausage spice blend, stuff, and link custom dinner sausages from scratch at home without the fillers, preservatives, excessive fats, sodium, and gluten found in many store brands. You’ll also get to sample a tasty meal that you can prepare at home using your custom creations. Your fearless leader in this workshop is Katherine Sowden, owner and chef at Guelph’s own Bella Roma Foods, and creator of many of her own sausage recipes.
- Which cuts of meat to use for sausage making
- How to break down a bone-in pork shoulder butt for grinding
- How to grind meat for sausage
- How to choose between natural and synthetic casing for your project, and where to source it.
- Perfecting the texture of your sausage for best cooking results.
- Pairing flavours and ingredients to achieve your custom sausage flavour dreams.
- Master the professional guided tasting process to develop and test your custom spice blends.
- Stuffing and linking your sausage to the perfect size.
- Sourcing high quality, local ingredients to continue your flavour adventure at home.
What you will take home:
- Instruction from a skilled sausage maker with over 10 years experience in the industry.
- 3-4 lbs. of dinner sausage to take home and enjoy immediately
- A delicious snack of sausage samplings to showcase flavour possibilities.
- A thorough step-by-step handout to help you re-create the magic and continue practicing your new skills at home.
You will want to attend this workshop if:
- You love learning artesian skills in a small group environment.
- You love sausage but prefer to avoid foods containing fillers, preservatives, dairy, gluten and other allergens that are common in many commercial brands.
- You like to experiment with new flavours combinations to create something unique.
- You like to make your ingredients (and budget) go further without compromising on quality and flavour.
- You break down your own home-raised animals and want to learn how to make use of those trimmed bits that don’t make it in to the pan or the pot on their own.
When: Saturday, January 13, 2018, 9:00 – 12:30 am
Where: Bella Roma Foods, 37 Empire street, Guelph (Parking at the back of the building)
Cost: $160 – $180.00 (includes 5 lbs. custom sausage, small group instruction, take-home handout, and light meal)
Class size: 8
What to Bring: Dress in layers (you’ll be working in a commercial kitchen, it could be chilly), close-toed shoes, an apron or clothes that can get messy. Long hair must be tied back.
*** If this workshop is financially inaccessible to you, please contact Minga at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Instructor: Katherine Sowden
After earning a degree in business, Katherine quickly got fed up with sitting around an office all day so she decided to change gears and pursue a career in the food industry. Butchery runs across several generations of Katherine’s family and she counts herself as fortunate to have learned the art of traditional sausage making from a member of well known Italian family in the Guelph community who she worked for on and off for over 5 years. She believes in the importance of connecting communities around food, food issues, and food skills that help us all to become more active members of our food system. That business degree does come in handy though, as she manages Bella Roma Foods in Guelph.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 5 days notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 5 days notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- We are unable to provide a refund after the workshop takes place.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.